Thursday, May 17, 2012

Everyone talks about the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Well, I don't like massages (unless they're from my wife). So though you would have a massage given unto you, if you give one to me, I'll be uncomfortable. The problem with the Golden Rule is that it is effective in helping us to avoid harming another person, but it can be ineffective in helping us to serve or help another person. If you run a business, or are trying to raise kids. The Golden Rule, probably won't be enough to allow you to succeed.

A few years ago, I was introduced to the concept of the Platinum Rule by Walter Hailey, an expert salesman and motivator. It states, "Do unto others as they they would have you do unto them." Note the difference and the need to find out what a person wants me to do to them or for them. It takes more work, but is more effective.

I'm a dentist. I have 4000 patients. I meet 80-100 new people every month. I'm also a dad and have 5 children. As much as I would like to approach them all the same and in a way that I'm most comfortable (Golden Rule), it doesn't work. Getting inside their heads takes time, empathy, compassion, and patience. I don't always have that.

This blog will be a place where I can share my successes and failures dealing with people with the goal being others might take notice and improve their relationships and outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment